Monday, May 10, 2010

CHA-CHING!!!!

My mother always tells me that i should never ever throw out an old bill or letter from the bank because they have my name and address on it, but to stick it through the paper shredder.

This is where my story begins.

Yesterday afternoon i decided to go through my folder of old paid bills and old bank letters and credit card statements, just stuff like that and get rid of ones i no longer need to keep. Now this is not a small task, i absolutely loath this sort of stuff and i have never been very organised about it so there were things in there dating back about 4/5 years.... that's right i hate it that much.

As I'm going through the mammoth pile of papers i decided to start shredding ones with my name and address on it. i figure hey the shredder is always fun and anyone willing to sift through the mountain of shredded paper just to piece a bill back together to steal my identity/ take all my money, well, they deserve it!!

I come across an unopened envelope and think to myself... hmmmmm wonder what this is?
I open it up to find a bank cheque to the value of $1,473 made out to my old credit card company. I looked at the date on the cheque that says 21.02.2007 i then started to wonder whether or not i had cancelled the cheque considering i payed my credit card off over the phone. But the envelope was sealed.... wouldn't they need the cheque to cancel it? Wouldn't i notice that sort of money missing out of my account?
Then i remember that around the date on the cheque i also took out a personal loan for my car that the bank stuffed up numerous times. Money went in and out of my account for about 3 weeks and i never comb over my statements, so yes, i guess it is possible i just didn't realise.

This morning i took the mysterious cheque to the bank to check it out. I thought why not? just double check you did cancel it and that will be that....
Imagine my suprise when the lady behind the desk says

"Um this cheque was never canceled... would you like me to put the money straight into your account or re-issue the cheque?"
Hell no i don't want you to re-issue it, stick that sweet money straight into the account lady!!!

I couldn't believe it.... I seriously feel like i won the lottery, only the money was already mine.
I have no idea what to do with it but i think its going into my overseas trip fund.

Moral of the story kiddies.... Always organise you paper work and always go through your statements with a fine tooth comb!!!!

2 comments:

El Woppo said...

but if you do that you dont appreciate finding free money!!!.... even if it is technically already yours.

leasha said...

You make a valid point. I really want to spend the money on a new camera.... However that's almost a whole airfare somewhere!! I'm so torn.

Post a Comment